When the Crown Prince of Dubai and Chairman of the Dubai Executive Council, Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum approved a new framework to keep a check on school fees, he took into consideration the parent’s interests and efforts to procure education at an affordable price and at the same time encouragement to the advancement of private schools.
Following are the key features of Dubai’s school fee system-
- The interests of the beneficiaries of the educational services was not ignored
- The new framework to come into effect from the academic year 2019-20
- No increase in the school fee for those private profitable schools where the quality of education has declined per the assessment of Dubai School Inspection Bureau
- Profitable private schools which have maintained their ranking can increase their fees by the same value as of the education cost index
- If we go by the quality of education index in Dubai private schools over the past years, then there will be no fee increase for about 90% of students for the academic year 2019-20.
- Those private schools whose rankings improves from Very Good to Outstanding can increase their fees by 1.5 times of the education cost index value. Those who move from Good to Very Good can increase fees by 1.75 times. Those who move from very weak to weak or from weak to acceptable can increase fees by 2.07 times.
- The Dubai Statistics Center had valued the education cost index at 2.07 in 2018. The eligible private schools will be permitted to modify their school fees accordingly.
- Charges for school transportation, uniforms and school supplies which are not part of the school fees, the KHDA has proposed regulating any increase in these services in coordination with the concerned authorities.
Source: Khaleej Times