From this academic year CBSE has given students the option of selecting Basic Mathematics. Teachers have a few doubts regarding the same and have reached out to the board for its eligibility and scope in class 11 for students intending to appear for NEET.
Some important points-
- It would be for the first time that the student of class 10 who would be taking their boards ibn 2020 have the option of selecting Basic Mathematics instead of Standard Mathematics
- Basic Mathematics shall bear a separate examination code and shall have a separate question paper. The same will be mentioned on the certificate given to the student.
- Students who would be opting of Basic Mathematics have time to decide only till 30th september as by then the List of candidates appearing for the boards has to be submitted. This was done keeping in mind those students who do not wish to take up maths in higher classes and find the level of mathematics high.
- Under basic mathematics the students will study the same syllabus but the question paper would be easier. However, such students will not be eligible to take up Mathematics in classes 11 and 12.
- Such students will have to option of appearing for standard mathematics examination with the compartment exams conducted in the month of July on the condition that they have cleared the basic mathematics exams in regular board exams held in february/march
- Students opting for basic mathematics can take up Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Computer Science of IP in classes 11 and 12. They can subsequently take up medical education and appear for NEET.
Parents and students are advised to carefully go through the provisions and make an informed decision. Schools too on their part are reaching out to parents and explaining the same.
In case any school is not providing this selection option is violating CBSE guidelines and parents are within their rights to report the matter to the board