The HRD Ministry has issued fresh directives to states and union territories in the country to adhere to the prescribed weight limit of school bags for each class, assign no homework to the students of class 1 and 2 and formulate guidelines to regulate the subject teaching. Only NCERT prescribed mathematics and language to taught to the pupils of class 1 and 2, language, EVS and mathematics to class 3 to 5. Students are not to bring with them any additional books or materials that increase the weight of the bag.
The Prescribed Weight Allocation is as Under –
- 1.5 kg for students of classes 1 and 2
- 2 – 3 kgs for classes 3 to 5
- Not more than 4 kgs for classes 6 and 7
- Not more than 4.5 kgs for class 8 and 9
- 5 kgs for a class 10 student